Sunday, August 23, 2015

Abibliophobia


I have read lots of books all my life and I will confess to having a certain level of abibliophobia.  The term defines someone who has a fear of running out of books/reading material.  I've always used the library, although I now download 99% of the books I read from my former-home library.  I will sometimes pick up a book at a book swap that I haven't read, but not often.  When I was planning on living and cruising on a sailboat, one of my fears was that I would run out of good books to read.  I spent lots of time gathering books to be read on my trip to the islands.  While I was out there cruising, I would attend every book swap and also swap with other cruisers as we met them.  I had such a great selection that when I sold my boat in Venezuela, I had to leave them on the boat.  I knew I'd have a library where I was going. 

I now spend time in libraries to use the internet, and the one shown above in Bluff, Utah is one of the most unique. The building was formerly the jail and has been repurposed as the town library, which is open only 2 days per week, for a total of 12 hours per week.  It consists of one room and a friendly librarian full of information about the area.  The wifi there is probably among the top few I have had to deal with.  I've been in larger cities with larger libraries that didn't have wifi that good.

I certainly appreciate all the libraries I've visited and that I'll visit in the future.  It sure makes life easier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment