Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Just when you think things are fine......

 

I've been staying at Beachcomber Park, a Passport America park (discount!),  near Lake Buchanan in Texas.  Today, as I was doing some trip planning, I went into the bathroom and turned on the light.  The light seemed at half strength, so I tried another light - same thing.  Then I realized, it had gotten warm and the AC had not kicked on in a while.  I went out to the power pedestal and checked to be sure my power cord was still plugged in.  I bypassed my surge protector, but that didn't make a difference.  My breakers were fine.  I had no idea what to try next.

I went to the office to see if there was any problem in the area.  The owners were in the office and when I explained my problem, Carlton told me he would gather some tools and be right over.  He started checking at the pedestal and had power there, and there was power at my breaker box.  The GFCI outlet had not flipped, so that wasn't the issue.  He checked out my converter.  Somehow he figured out it was the battery.  The battery level was very low.  I'm not sure how that happened, the water level was OK and it was supposed to charge whenever the RV was plugged into shore power.

It was the problem, because when it was hooked to the truck with jumper cables to test it, the AC kicked on with no hesitation.  Carlton brought over his professional-looking battery charger and plugged it in to charge the battery.  I should be find out in the morning if it will hold a charge.  I know I'll be keeping a close eye on it in the next few days, and I may just get a new one as soon as I get to a store.

I have met many park owners in the past few months, but these people have been the most friendly and helpful.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment