Thursday, February 5, 2015

Marine Corps Base, Yuma, Arizona

  
Sometimes, you just happen to be in the right place at the right time.   Today I was driving to the store and noticed quite a few vehicles in the parking lot of the fairgrounds just across from the airport of the Marine base here in Yuma, and everyone was staring across the street.  I looked to the other side and saw a couple of the aircraft shown above with rotors running, so I turned into the next entrance of the parking lot and grabbed my camera.  I take my camera with me almost everywhere I go - I might forget to bring the phone, but I have the camera.

 
As they approach to land, they look like they could be those little remote control toy planes - or would they be called helicopters - or would it be heliplanes.  Well, the mystery is solved, I sent a photo to my son, who is a pilot and he identified it as a Bell-Boeing V22 Osprey.  There is more on Wikipedia about them, even showing that their blades/props can be tilted forward to look more like a conventional airplane.
 

As I stood there waiting for them to come back to base, I saw this four-engine airplane.  Interesting enough, but not as intriguing as the other airships.
 
 
When you're traveling, you never know what you're going to see!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment