Thursday, June 27, 2019

Turquoise Trail | Madrid | New Mexico


The road to Madrid is two lane, for the most part, and an easy drive with little traffic and lots of scenery. 


 
Turquoise was mined in a small town nearby called Cerrillos.  Indians mined there way back before the Spanish arrived, and then the mining boomed again in 1879.


Now, the little town of Madrid is a thriving little town with lots of little shops and their fair share of saloons and restaurants.  I'm not a buyer, but I love wandering around these little towns.


 
Every town seems to have a building that didn't quite survive, for one reason or another.  This one has a sign on the front, stating you could sit on the porch, but the house was occupied.
 
 
This side of the house looks a bit better.


 
I had a snack here, nice place and friendly people - and great sweet potato fries!
 

Somehow, this old railroad car got to be part of this restaurant.



On the way out of town is a little cottage complete with a zebra.
 
 
Mailboxes in town are very colorful, obviously lots of artistic people living here.
 
 
And further out of town - I bet this ranch was great in it's day.

 
On the ride home,  I saw this little church up on a hill, so I went up to take a look, old time Spanish style.
 

This is what happens when you don't get the roof fixed. 


It just happened that I noticed this store because of the truck!  They didn't have my favorite flavor, but at least it was ice cream!

2 comments:

  1. Wait, you missed Maggie's Diner from the movie "Wild Hogs". It is a t-shirt and souvenir shop now so we didn't get to have
    lunch there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really miss it,there was no one in that parking lot all the time I was there. I don't know if they were closed that day or not.

      Delete