Sunday, June 16, 2019

Cuchillo | Living Ghost Town | Elephant Butte | New Mexico


Not a bad view where I stayed at Elephant Butte State Park for about a week.  I found out there was a ghost town nearby, so I set out to explore it.
 
  
They call this a living ghost town because there are still people living there, but there aren't any stores or businesses - except for this antique shop that was closed.
 
 
The owner came out to talk to me and told me that this wheel is over 300 years old.
 
 
He didn't have any information about this wagon, but said it would not be moved again because it was too fragile.
 

There was a 1999 license plate on this little trailer.
 
 
Multiple buildings are still standing.
 
 
If anyone is looking for a new house, this one actually looks newer than any of the neighbors.
 

At one time, this was probably a store and bar.


I'm sure this was a house, but I love the fence in front!

 

A couple of cute cottages, but I couldn't tell if they were being used or not.


At one time, this was a café.


I love the little four-paned window that is set on an angle in this house.

 
This looks like it might have been a nice car at one time.......
 
 
Some places are boarded up, but others are still intact without boards.
 

Back at the campground, this is what a holiday weekend looks like here in Elephant Butte.  This was taken at my site.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment