Thursday, July 26, 2018

Great Basin National Park | Lehman Caves | Nevada


I always have to stop to see interesting things left in a field.


Great Basin has ranching exhibit with a shelter over it, and along the rails at the top are these metal cutouts.


Great Basin National Park covers a massive amount of square miles, although some areas are not easily accessible.  The drive to Wheeler Peak is very scenic, another one of those steep roads with some drop-offs that I can't look at while I'm driving.


 
Lehman Caves was the highlight of my tour of the park.  The cave tours are all reserved and led by rangers.  Although it may be hot outside, the caves stay about 50 degrees, we were warned to bring a jacket. 
 

The little wavy formation hanging down is called Cave Bacon because it kind of looks like bacon.  I have seen it in other caves where it actually looked more like bacon. 


These next 3 formations are actually overhead.


 
 

All these photos were taken with available light, since they requested no flashes, which is typical of these tours. 


Some of the areas were lit quite well, like this one. 
 

This is not a usual color for caves, but here it is.




 
 
I thought this was a cute sign.  Not only was there a stop sign at the corner, and the arrows pointing each way, but someone decided Whoa would work better.  The blurry gray squares were political signs, so I blocked them out.
 
 
If you're in this neighborhood, definitely plan on visiting, lots of good scenery and a cool cave tour. 

2 comments:

  1. I visited the caves and totally enjoyed the tour. The same with the campground, our site backed right up to a pleasant little creek.
    Good thing you were able to visit. Great Basin is rather out of the way, but what the hay!??...When you have the time it's worth the visit.
    Upriver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love caves, so I absolutely had to visit. I got to see some of the "Loneliest Road" also.

      Delete