Monday, July 16, 2018

Ely | Train Museum | Nevada

 
If there's a train ride, I'm ready to go.  Not only did I get to ride the train, but there's a museum and we are allowed access to the giant train garage and workshop.  The photo below is the main museum, gift shop and other offices.
 


Ely is mostly desert, but this proves there are green fields in the area!


There are 2 tunnels on the ride and this seems like the most modern. 


At the end of the ride, near the mine before they do the turn-around, they have some old-time buildings, a graveyard with humorous "headstones" and a few other things.



I just figure this must be the hanging "tree", but it might just be my imagination.

 


I think the majority of the people on board rode in the open car, although they did have the regular passenger cars.

 
Back at the station, there are many buildings, some quite rustic.
 
 


 
This guy looks like an old pro at this.



Inside the huge building that houses train engines and the workshop are other interesting finds.  I think this is an antique caboose.


Since it does snow in this area, they have this engine, a rotary snow plow - I guess someone has to get rid of all that white stuff.


There are numerous other engines just sitting around.

 
 

 
I'm not sure what this would be, but it was there too.
 
 
A view of another building in the yard, but one we didn't get to tour.
 
 
The mechanic shop had all sorts of huge equipment, even the drills were giant sized.
 
  
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I love trains too. Have you been on the Skunk Train out of Willits or Ft. Bragg CA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not done the Skunk, but I've been on the Durango-Silverton and the Toltec-Cumbres out of Chama, NM. Both great trips.

      Delete
  2. Well worth a visit!....Whoooo-Hooooo.....(my interpretation) of a steam train whistle......

    ReplyDelete