Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Tuttle Creek Camp | BLM | Alabama Hills | California

 

Tuttle Creek is a BLM (Bureau of Land Management) campground about 5 miles from Lone Pine on Route 395 in California.  It's a nice campground, but the spots are not very spacious and the two I tried needed quite a bit of leveling - not a problem if you have automatic leveling.  This was my campsite for a while. 

The campground has a small creek running through it and some people were catching trout.  It's a nice little creek and I went down to take a few photos.



 
 
I took a drive up the mountain where there are campsites at 8,000 feet.  It was a steep drive on a curving narrow road perched on the side of the mountain.  I was treated to scenes of tall pine trees and the snow covered peaks.  I could not imagine towing anything up that road but I did look down at one of the campsites and saw a trailer.  Impressive!  I was happy to be safely at the bottom, after a slow trip down.  There were many areas where the road did not have any type of guardrails.
 

Great scenery!


Check out the curvy road on the right in this photo.  And this was one of the straighter areas!


This is looking down from about halfway from the top of the mountain road.

 
Alabama Hills is nearby and there were conflicting reports of boondocking allowed - or not.  There were quite a few rigs scattered around the area and there were no reports of anyone being told to leave, so as of May, boondocking was allowed.  The brochure for this area states that dispersed camping is allowed for 14 days. 
 
It is said that the prospectors who mined here named the area after a Confederate warship of the same name.
 
This is the first thing you see on the way to the campground, or entering the Alabama Hills area.  I'm not sure if he is just graffiti or someone dressed him up for a movie.  In any case, he gets lots of attention and photos.
 

This is a large area of dramatic boulders.  I only saw a small portion of the area, it keeps going for miles.  The area is famous for movies - back when The Lone Ranger and Hopalong Cassidy were in the area.  There were movies filmed during the 1990s in the area also, including Star Trek Generations.

There is a famous arch that I wanted to get some photos of, so I set out on the trail.  There weren't any signs, so I saw a small arch and went over to photograph it.  Not the one I was looking for, but it made an interesting photo.  I had to crawl up and sit on the rocks to get low enough to get the mountains in the shot.  I kept thinking that it certainly didn't look like any photographs of the arch I was searching for.   

 
Only a few minutes later, I came across the Mobius arch, the one I had set out to find.  Much easier to photograph, although I like the photos of both of them. 
 
 
 
These are different angles of the same arch.

 
There were some great views and the rest of these photos are shots of different areas I saw.  There were also rock climbers in the area.
 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. I'll be at the campsite around the 6th of May. I'm riding a motorcycle cross country and I'll be tent camping by myself. I'm a 58 yr old female and wondering how the weather was and if the campsite felt safe. Also, how did you know which trail to take to find the Mobius Arch?

    Thank you for this review and the gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the BLM and Forest campgrounds I have been to seem safe to me. They have camp hosts who know the area and they keep an eye on the campers, I've never had any trouble in any of them, and they're usually very reasonable. When you're traveling in to the Alabama Hills area, you'll find what looks like a main dirt road to the right and that will take you to a parking area where the trail starts. It's a nice trail and not very long, but you should be able to find the two arches - the scenery there is great. Enjoy!!

      Thanks for the comments about my photos!

      Delete