Sunday, April 22, 2018

Sawtooth Canyon Campground | BLM | Barstow | California


This was my campsite at Sawtooth Campground, a BLM camp as well as a destination for rock climbers in the area.  This particular BLM is no fee, even though they have the fire pit and table shelter shown, as well as a BBQ that is out of the photo.  Most BLM areas charge a fee if there are any type of amenities, but I enjoyed the free part.  I ended up staying here about 8 days since there were lots of days with high winds and I don't tow in those conditions.  The day before I left, there were high winds all afternoon, some predicted to reach 60 mph.  Seems that the entire area was under wind alerts.


I talked to a few of the climbers and found that there is actually a guide book of the area called New Jack City.  Back in the 1980s a few climbers came out to the area and set up areas that could be climbed.  They put in connections so that people could climb up and clip a safety line as they go.  Obviously I didn't get all the lingo correct!


On this wall, there are two people climbing, with their spotters below, keeping a tension on their lines for safety. 


As they go up, they search for tiny ledges to grab with their hands as well as pushing up from ledges with their feet, they have special shoes. 


In the photo below, there are 3 people on this wall, and one in the foreground taking a photo of one of them. 


Totally unrelated to climbing, this man came in my last day there with his RV - a man powered little rig with more solar panels than I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment