Friday, January 3, 2014

Appearances are deceiving.....



This is a photo of my sunrise this morning in Florida, as seen through my back window.  Looks really pretty and like we're having warm weather - doesn't it?  

Don't let this pretty picture fool you.  When I went out to take the picture, it was COLD.   It was windy too!  During the night, it had been down about 37-39 degrees.  Even now when they're predicting the low tonight will be about 46, our wind chill is 41 degrees.  Plus, it's a damp cold.

I know what the people in the northern states are thinking - I must be crazy to complain abut 30's and 40's.  But, this is supposed to be Florida - where people flock every year to get out of the cold northern temperatures.  The people in Florida are not used to this abusive weather.  I won't speak for everyone here, but I will admit that I am a wimp when it comes to being cold.  

Of course, spending about 10 years in the Caribbean on a sailboat really spoiled me.  It was a rare day if the temperatures went below 75.  I spent some winter seasons in the Virgin Islands, and the locals did not go in the water until summer.  Yes, we could tell the difference. 

Every time winter comes in Florida, I keep thinking that it's so nice and sunny looking - it looks like it should be warm.   Just like the picture above - looks like a nice sunny, warm day about to begin.  Don't believe everything you see or hear.....

No comments:

Post a Comment