Sunday, October 28, 2018

Smokey Bear | Forest Fires


Smokey Bear profile illustration

I watched multiple fires this summer, from a distance, and then closer; while I was camping in several different Forest Service Campgrounds.  After seeing the hard work and lots of tax dollars that go into fighting these fires, I started talking to people who agreed that Smokey is not as well publicized today as he has been in the past.  Other people agreed that they hadn't seen much of anything about him in years. 

However, he does have a new website,  https://www.smokeybear.com/, published just this year, from which I borrowed the above photo.  I have a feeling that after this summer, he will have more of a presence than he has in years past.   This year, I saw some photos of firefighters carrying out a cub from the fires, which is how Smokey Bear, and his message, got started decades ago.  I hope that the message will continue with more publicity. 

At one of the Forest Service campgrounds I stayed at, the camp hosts had these little bracelets labeled "Smokey's Friend", a good reminder to be careful!
  
  
She also had comic books about Smokey and fires, which had apparently been reprinted from years gone by. 
  

Although he still does not have the presence that he used to, I'm hoping that more people will become aware of the danger and destruction by forest fires. 

Remember - "Only YOU can prevent forest fires"


No comments:

Post a Comment