Friday, March 28, 2014

Day One


Yesterday was my first real trip with my truck and fifth wheel trailer.  While getting ready to go, I was about to stow the electric cord and when I opened the little hatch to feed the cord inside the trailer, I noticed a couple little light-colored frogs crouched there.   As I tried to get them out, they started crawling inside, where they were safe from eviction since I had no way to get them.  They have now been relocated to the west coast of Florida, as soon as they evacuate.  They will probably stagger out as soon as they recover from motion sickness. 

My cat was riding shotgun and not at all happy about it.  I had given her a couple morsels of "Quiet Moments" calming aid, which claimed to reduce stress, tension and promote relaxation.   I also sprayed the towel in her cage and the one covering her cage with some spray that claimed to do the same thing.   HAH - not with my cat!  It did manage to lower the volume of her usual very loud howling and after a couple hours, she got tired enough to lay around and continue to whine.   I finally managed to tune her out and I managed to have a pleasant trip.

Since I took the back roads instead of I4, to which I am highly allergic, there was some nice scenery along the way.  There were some places that would have been nice to be able to stop and take a few photos, but there was no place to pull over and park.  My route took me over many of the hills of northern Florida - not at all like the flat lands of most of Florida.  There were patches of pretty purple wildflowers along the side of the road.  And lots of live oak trees with Spanish moss hanging, as well as one that had been split in half by lightning and laying dead in a field. 

I got into the park later than expected but was pleased with my choice, Fay's RV Park, a small park but one that accepted Passport America (discount!).  I'm surrounded by live oak trees and some tall pines, as you can see in the photo above.  The view out my big back window is woods, replacing the view of the Halifax River of the past few months.  I don't have any close neighbors and it seems very quiet after driving so long.  The manager was very helpful and helped guide me into the spot.  As a bonus, their wifi works well!

I'll be here for 3 full days and expect to take my bike out tomorrow for some exploring in the area.  And so ends the first leg of my cross-country trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment