Monday, June 15, 2015

National Forest Hiking - Flagstaff, Arizona



Since I've been camping in the National Forest near Flagstaff for a week now, I'd like to share some of my hiking experiences. Most all the roads in the Forests are dirt, very few that are paved. This region has quite a bit of hard red dirt except when it rains and gets muddy, and that's when vehicles make ruts in the roads. Unfortunately, quite a few of these rutted roads are just about impossible to safely use for any kind of trailer or Class A motorhome.

For hiking, they're perfect. There are multiple varieties of wildflowers in this area.




I found a wonderful split-rail fence that zig-zagged along the road.



Unfortunately, in one area, I found trash that people bought out and left - a love seat and a full size sofa!  In my own campsite, I found an old truck radiator behind some bushes, as well as the usual litter people leave. I think this is probably locals who just come out to dump and think it's a nice, quiet deserted area. I have a hard time believing it would be RV people!
 
 
There is beautiful scenery and numerous types of trees, even ones that still stand stately although they are no longer alive.

 
There is an endless supply of firewood with no signs saying we can't use it. A chainsaw would be helpful.
 
 
And lots of petrified cow patties - some with mushrooms growing in them!
 

There is new growth here, this pine tree was full of it.
 
 
It was very relaxing wandering through the forest, there was an old water tank with a pipeline that ran to a watering trough.   I don't know what the answer is to the littering, I wish there was some way to combat it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment