Thursday, September 29, 2016

City of Rocks State Park | New Mexico

 
Sometime way back about 40 million years ago, there was a volcanic eruption in area of the southwest corner of what is now New Mexico.  This was the first step in producing what is now called the City of Rocks.  New Mexico has made it a State Park, one of many wonderful parks in New Mexico. 
 

Following are more photos of these amazing rock formations.



 
Camping spots are nestled in among the rocks, creating private spots.
 

I love that "small" rock balanced on top.






 

Another good balancing act......




 
While I was there, someone in the visitor center told me about some Kit Foxes that have been hanging around the building, as well as the campground.  I had been waiting for them to show, and just as I was walking to my truck to leave, I saw this one come out of a drainage culvert.
 

I was so excited, I kept taking photos of her sitting in the sun, a few are shown below.


She got bored at one time, and then settled down for a nap.


The nap only lasted a few seconds. 


She didn't seem afraid of people, but got a little skittish if I moved close. 



 

2 comments: