Monday, August 8, 2016

Boondocking | National Forest Service | Arizona


The photo above shows how the Forest Service gets ready for a burn.  I don't know if this entire area will be a controlled burn, or if they are just clearing the area of deadfall.  I have been helping in my own little way by gathering wood for campfires while I'm here.

I have been boondocking in the National Forest near Jacob Lake, Arizona for the past week.  I found this site on a website called freecampsites.net.  The site I am camp at is just about 1 mile from the main road road headed to the north rim of the Grand Canyon.  There are many others in the area along Forest Road 461, but this one was the easiest to get to.


The photo above shows Jacob Lake.  I was expecting something more picturesque since the area is named for this lake.  It is totally fenced in and there are signs that say no trespassing.


This is the restored original Forest Ranger post from the early 1900s.  Unfortunately I never got to see the inside since it was always closed.

When I first got here it rained for about 4 days.  I did find out you can see a rainbow in the middle of a forest, as you can see below.


I have been told by another camper that there is a resident hawk flying around, but I have not seen it. I've been trying to get a good picture of the local squirrel.  This squirrel is only seen in this area of the north rim of the Grand Canyon and he's very distinctive since he has a big fluffy white tail.



I am so glad that campers share the good camping areas they find so that others can enjoy them.  And, it's great to have the technology to be able to share this information on a large scale.







6 comments:

  1. Love your pictures. Need to put that area on our list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially if you are boondocking. Great way to save some money and still have wonderful camping.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was amazed it came out that good through the back window.

      Delete
  3. Heading up that way soon! Thanks for the info. Do you think we can get in with a 32 ft motorhome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm taking so long to answer this but I did not see this notice. There are many spots there and my spot was gigantic. You should have no trouble.

      Delete