Monday, August 24, 2015

Needles Overlook, Utah

 
Church Rock rises out of a field of relatively flat land. It sits there all by itself, with no other rock formations close by. Mountains can be seen on the distant horizon. It is a bit strange to see no other sign of rock formations nearby.

 
Needles Overlook is reached by a two lane road through an area with red rocks emerging from the earth in the middle of fields of sagebrush. Large red rocks worn smooth by erosion seem to rise out of the earth with no rhyme or reason.

 

 At the end of the lonely road, a sign announces Needles Overlook. It is a massively different terrain than the one I've been traveling through. As I get out of the truck, I see the floor of what looks like a canyon far below, stretching all the way to the horizon. At the horizon I barely see parts of the Colorado River, with mesas behind it. It's a breathtaking sight. Unfortunately, we had been having hazy weather so it wasn't as clear as I'd hoped. I can only imagine if the air was clear, all the colors would be more dramatic. As it was, I was certainly impressed.

 
Utah certainly is amazingly colorful, and there is more to come. Next week, I'll be exploring red rock arches towering over the landscape.

 
 
\

No comments:

Post a Comment