Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Box Canyon Hiking in California

 
Yesterday I took a trip to Box Canyon for hiking.   This area isn't like others I've been in.  This area is mostly rocky, shades of brown in the hills and not much vegetation.  It was a very stark area, so when I climbed the hill and saw the view shown in the photo above, it was one of those "oh, wow" moments.  If you look closely at the left side of the photo, you can see the Salton Sea and the mountains in the background, covered with clouds.

 
Much of the area looks like compacted mud with rocks imbedded in these formations.  In one of the small canyons where water flows through with heavy rains, there are small trees and a few other bushes surviving.  It apparently flows quite rapidly through the canyon, as some of the canyon walls were undercut.
 
 

I have to admit that southern California scenery is not that impressive.  It must be the agricultural area, as well as the fact that the desert is different from the deserts in Arizona and New Mexico.  So, I will be moving to another area near here before I head on back to Arizona for more exploring there.

No comments:

Post a Comment